Between March 25 and May 24, voting will take place to choose the winners of the World Travel Awards that, since 1993, have recognized excellence in different sectors of the tourism industry. It’s one of the most important awards in the world in this field.
Last year, Peru left with 3 prizes in the following categories: Best Culinary Destination, Best Touristic Attraction (for the historical sanctuary of Machu Picchu) and Best Cultural Destination. For the new year, Peru has been nominated 47 times in these prestigious awards which, according to The Wall Street Journal, are considered the “Oscars of tourism.” It’s important to mention that many of these nominations are of private Peruvian businesses that stand out in the international market.
Today, we’ll dive a little deeper into 5 of these nominations so you can feel motivated not only to vote for Peru for these awards but also to visit one of the most captivating countries in all of Latin America.
1. Best Adventure Destination: The geographic diversity of Peru makes it the ideal destination for those who love adventure tourism. Cusco, for example, holds many of the best trekking routes in Latin America; the Inca Trail and the Salkantay Trek are on the top of the list for trekking enthusiasts. After great amounts physical effort, both trails reward trekkers with a visit to the beautiful Inca city of Machu Picchu. In Peru, you can also practice mountaineering in the Ancash region or kitesurfing in the beach paradises of the north. There’s a wide range of adventure activities to do in Peru: zipline, rock climbing, mountain biking, sand-boarding, spelunking, diving, canoeing, kayaking, paragliding, bungee jumping and so much more.
2. Best Natural Destination: Peru is one of the 10 countries in the world considered to be “mega diverse.” It has a huge variety of flora and fauna as well as dreamy landscapes that will take your breath away. This country has 158 natural areas of conservation besides being an ideal destination for bird-watching. Water is also a fundamental element in the natural destinations of Peru. For example, in this picture we can see the turquoise paradise of the Humantay Lake, found on the Salkantay Trail. Other indispensable destinations to connect you deeply to nature are the National Park of Manu, Lake Titicaca, Colca Canyon and the Llanganuco lake in Ancash.
3. Best Cultural Destination: Few Latin American countries were able to conserve their ancient cultural ties after the Spanish invasion. Peru has a special power because of its unending archeological centers. In its territory have lived the oldest American civilization (Caral) and the biggest and most powerful empire in the south of the continent (Inca), including more than 30 different pre-Inca cultures in between. This has left us an impressive archeological panorama that can surprise anyone. Apart from this, across the country, you can see multicolored traditions, festivals, rituals, celebrations, art, food, etc. UNESCO declared 2019 the International Year of Indigenous Languages, and Peru is one of the countries using the most linguistic families in the world. In reality, more than 6 million people speak 48 indigenous languages, such as Quechua, Aymara, Shipibo and Ashaninka.
4. Best Destination for Beaches: It’s well-known that Peruvian authorities still haven’t noted the immense potential this country has in its beaches. The South Pacific Ocean has cold waters, but in the north, the Peruvian ocean has more and more of the warm water temperatures of the Caribbean. Whether it’s the south or north, Peru has incredible beaches to relax and enjoy the connection to nature. Tumbes is the region with the most amazing beach paradises, and the Punta Sal especially stands out. In Piura, you’ll find the famous beach of Mancora, a frenzied and vibrant place perfect for anyone looking for a brusque change in their lives. The regions of Lima, Ica and Arequipa are also recognized for their beautiful beaches.
5. Best Business Destination: Peru has less luck in this category. Unfortunately, according to the Index of Competitive Global Talent 2019, Peru dropped 27 spots as an attractive place to do business. In general, Latin America still doesn’t seem to be an ideal place for investors to focus their business. However, Peru is consolidating itself as an ideal destination to hold important, international meetings.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this blog and that, little by little, Peru is opening a place in your heart. You can vote for Peru at https://www.worldtravelawards.com/ and help this country be a tourism destination more and more well-known across the world.