Salkantay Challenge Trek
- An alternative to know in a record time the mountain Salkantay
Accommodation Grade: Hostel
Trek Grade: Moderate to Challenging
Trip at a glance
WHY US?"We are considered by many to be the leading experts on authentic trekking experiences at a competitive price & service. We always go the extra mile to provide you with the utmost satisfaction during your adventure and our belief is that responsible tourism is a better way to see the world."
OUR AWARDSIn the tourism industry of Cusco, there are a vast number of achievements and awards used to recognize the best operators and service providers in the region. Among these exists the award for Tourism Quality in the region of Cusco, which is meant to recognize the very best in the tourism industry. Salkantay Trekking was proudly nominated for said award and later chosen as the Best Adventure Tourism Agency of the region of 2016. For more information on Our Awards
- The Salkantay Trek is listed among the 25 best treks in the world by National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine.
- The Salkantay Trek is definitely one of the best hiking adventures that you will find in Peru.
- After the Inca Trail the Salkantay Trek is the second most popular trek to Machu Picchu, and a lot less crowded.
- The hike alongside the magnificent Apu Salkantay and the arrival at the ruins of Machu Picchu is one of the best experiences known to mankind.
- See natural bridges, snowcapped mountains, cascades, wildlife and cloud forests.
- Camping with less people to make your own trip and have the best look on these incredible mountains.
DESCRIPTIONThe Salcantay trek to Machupicchu, it is the best alternative hike to the Inca Trail, designed for those who still wish to hike to Machupicchu. The ecosystem has a wide-range biodiversity. Come and see yourself an outstanding mountain scenery, biodiversity, and an old-living culture off the beaten path.
ITINERARY - Day by Day
Today’s Highlights: Walking from Challacancha to Soraypampa with not too many tourists. An afternoon visit at the Humantay Lake and views of the enigmatic ‘Apu’ Salkantay. The campsite is exclusively just for our group (Click Here to see our CHAULLAY CAMPSITE)
Early in the morning (3:00am) you are collected from your hotel, and transported to Soraypampa (3850mt). We stop briefly for breakfast. do not miss to look out your window for spectacular views of UMANTAY AND SALKANTAY Mountains. After introducing ourselves to the group, we get prepared for the hike, and start out to a steady uphill to the pass (4,650mt, 15,255 ft.). Do not miss the views of Mountain Salkantay, and the mountains surrounding it. Upon arrival at the Salcantay pass, we have the closest approach to mountain Salcantay. Afterwards we go down on a serpentine and rocky trail to lunch. Lunch at Huayracmachay. In the afternoon, we keep going down into a lush ecosystem, called tropical high Jungle. As we go lower the temperature increases..
Campsite at challway: (2900mt – 9,514 ft.)
Starting point elevation: 3,500mt
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Accommodation: sleeping tents
Maximum Altitude: 4650mt
Minimum Altitude: 2900mt
Walking distance: 22km to Chaullay
Highlights of today: We leave as early as possible to enjoy an empty trail and appreciate the landscape, scenery and wildlife. While trekking through the jungle you can find loads of different wild fruits like: banana, avocado, passion fruit, etc. There are also waterfalls and water streams where you can refresh your feet in. Lunch in La Playa, afterwards we will take a private car to Hidroelectrica where we will start 3 more hours of walking.
Optional: Train ride from Hidroelectrica to Aguas Calientes.
At 6:00 am. we will start our trek to La Playa through the Santa Teresa valley. We will be hiking approximately 6 hours. During the hike we’ll see: waterfalls, wild orchids, but also coffee, banana and avocado plantations. Here you can taste the famous passion fruit and granadilla fruit. We will see a village called Colpapampa, also called the “forest cloudy brow” where waterfalls, thermal hot springs, fruit-bearing trees, varied flora and birds can be observed. If we are lucky, we will be able to see the famous bird called “the Cock of the Rocks” this bird is the national bird of Peru. After lunch at La playa, we will catch a local transportation to the Hidroelectrica train station. Here you will have two options: 1) If you are exhausted you may take the train to Aguas Calientes. 2) If you are still eager to hike you may walk from Hidroelectrica to Aguas Calientes for about 3 hours along the train track. Once in Aguas Calientes we will go to the accommodation which is included in the tour. At 7:00 pm. we will have dinner at a local restaurant.
All the expenses in Aguas Calientes are covered by the company. Including: breakfast, lunch, dinner and the overnight at a hotel.
Walking Distance – 26km / 16.1 Miles
Starting Elevation – 2750 meters / 9022 feet
Campsite Elevation – 1600 meters / 5249 feet
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Highlights of today: Early morning arrival at Machu Picchu so you will have more time to explore this truly magnificent World Wonder with not as many tourists. You will even be there before The Inka Trail trekkers arrive! Enjoy the beautiful sunrise. Two hours guided tour of the mystical Machu Picchu ruins. Plus an optional climb to Huayna Picchu or the Machupicchu Mountain (if you have pre-booked tickets.)
The highlight of the trek, Machu Picchu! We will wake up early at the hotel. This is better for visiting Machupicchu, before the mass of people arrive. The Machu Picchu entrance check point is open from 6:00 am. until 17:00 pm. We will hike up to Machupicchu (a bus ride is optional for $12.00) and enter the city really early with a lot fewer tourists than during the midday. Here we will have a 2 hours guided tour through this incredible ancient city. We will visit temples, palaces, priest houses, a sundial, the industrial sector and the farming fields. After this guided tour you are free to climb up to Huaynapicchu or Machupicchu Mountain (book in advance to get your tickets!). Both mountains take approximately 3 hours to hike up and down. Or for the less adventurous you can trek to the sun gate, which is the main entrance of the Inka Trail. You’ll stay and enjoy the city for more than 7 hours in the afternoon. We will organize the train ride at 18:20 pm. back from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and then a bus ride to Cusco to arrive at approx. 22:00 pm. The bus will drop you off at your hotel/hostel in Cusco.
Included & Not Included
What is Included?
- Pre-departure briefing: You will meet your guide and group in our office, for an orientation trek and provide you the duffle bags which will be carried by our horses. meeting at 7:00 PM the evening before the trip begins.
- Transport: Collection from your hotel in the morning and transfer in private transportation to Soraypampa (starting point of the trek).
- Experienced Guide: English speaking professional and official tour guide.
- Personal tents: 2 people in each 4-people-capacity tent, to allow for higher comfort and a safe keeping of backpacks. Our tents are 3-season, highly maintained to ensure an excellent performance in field. Kailas, Pro aconcagua and Rei 4 Outfitter tents are employed when double accommodation is requested.
- We offer private campsites: that are just for our customers. Like our ancestors we are very considerate with the Pachamama (mother earth). Therefore our campsites (CHOZAS) are adapted to the environment without generating visual impacts.
Our campsite consists of several huts which are made of a material (Ichu and wood) that will guarantee protection during cold nights and a pleasant rest. (Click Here to see photo).
- Camping equipment: Dining and kitchen tents, tables, chairs.
- Foam mats or sleeping pads: to put under your sleeping bag (carried by horses)
- Accommodation: 1 nights in tent and 1 night accommodation in selected hotel in Aguas Calientes with Breakfast.
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes: double or triple rooms, private bathrooms, hot showers, wifi, and storage while you visit Machu Picchu.
- 1 Duffle Bag: Where you can put your personal belongings (7 kilograms = 15 lbs) which includes your sleeping bag.
- Cargo Mules: From day 1 to 2 to carry the all camping equipment and your personal baggage (7 kilos).
- Trekking Cook: In charge to prepared all the meals along the journey, over 6 people cook assistant
- Meals: 2 Breakfasts, 2 Lunches, 2 dinners and Snacks (Vegetarian, vegan or special menus are available at no extra cost)
- Wake up tea: Every morning at the campsite we will wake you up with a cup of coca tea our support staff will bring the coca tea to your tent in order to wake you up.
- Tea time = Happy Hour: Every afternoon 1 hour before dinner the cooks will let on the dining table pop-corn, biscuits, coffee, chocolate, different type of teas, hot water, etc. this is because after a day of hiking many are hungry and it is a bit annoying to wait till dinner that why we provide tea time.
- Daily snacks - Days 1 and 2: Our Snacks consist of local fruits, biscuits, chocolate, Caramels we will give this snack at the beginning of each day trek in a cloth bag to avoid environmental contamination.
- One textile snack bag per person: to avoid the usage of plastic bags that contaminate our environment
- Water grooming: Each morning warm water with towel
- 1 Blanket or Liner
- 1 Pillow per person
- Medical kit: Our crew bring the First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Train tickets: From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo (Expedition service at 18:20 hrs)
- Transport: Transfer from Ollantaytambo Train Station to hotel in Cusco(Day 4)
- 24-h guest service: please ask for the emergency number available during your time of visit
- Light-Weight plastic rain poncho
- We will create a the trip of a Memorable Lifetime Experience for you.
- We are Direct operators & local owners with the best trekking team on the hike.
- Entrance fee to Salkantay Trail (S/.10 per person)
- Sleeping Bags: (you can hire from our company), our sleeping bags are -18ºC-comfort (0ºF), mummy form and include a sleeping liner. They are cleaned after every use and have a maximum usage of 30 trips.
- Walking Sticks: you can hire from our company
- Last Day: Lunch and Dinner in Aguas Calientes.
- Personal clothing and gear.
- Travel insurance.
- Tips for our staff: please note that our agency staff is well paid so please feel free to tip or not as you wish.
- Additional costs or delays caused by management out of control like landscape, bad weather condition, in case of itinerary modification with a view to safety concern, illness, change of government policy, political instability raises strike, moment etc.
Thank you for choosing Salkantay Trekking! We will do everything within our means to take care of you and ensure an enjoyable trip of a lifetime in Peru!
Video & Map
TRIP VIDEOSalkantay Trekking Videos More Videos
MOUNTAIN SKY HUT - Under the deep blue sky
Feel in your every cell the perfect union of heaven and earth. Sleep peacefully under the deep blue sky, in the middle of the Humantay and Salkantay Mountain. At the same time, enjoy all the carefree comforts and services of a high-class holiday home....
CHOZAS SALKANTAY - Authentic Andean Campsites
This year, our company has implemented a variety of services, including our authentic Andean campsites, to set us apart from any other company offering the Salkantay route. In providing the best service out there, we have built our authentic Andean campsites to offer private camping grounds to and for our customers only. But that’s not all, besides offering private camping, these tents have been designed in consideration of the Pachamama (Mother Earth). Our tents (chozas) are made of natural materials such as ichu (Peruvian feather grass) and wood only, and were built in such manner as to not disturb the surrounding environment in any major way. They also guarantee protection during cold nights and a pleasant rest for anyone staying in them.
Our authentic Andean campsites were built not only to provide the very best to our customers, but also as a clear example of our commitment to responsible and sustainable tourism.
"We believe Responsible Tourism is a BETTER Way to see the WORLD."
OUR HIKING TEAM
Our Tour GuidesYour tour will be led by a trained and highly experienced professional with a very solid guiding background, years of hiking and wilderness experience, medical certifications, and a passion for leading people into unforgettable adventures.
They never stop learning so that they can be the best possible guides. They all speak English and of course they also speak Spanish and even Quechua, the Incan Language. They are all able to communicate with natives from around the area and will have lots of history to share with you. Check out the Meet Our Team page for staff bios.
Our CooksAfter a challenging trek we know how important a good hot meal can be to prepare your body and warm you up. That’s why on every trek with Salkantay Trekking we employ chefs with years of experience cooking on the trails so that they provide filling and nutritious meals using fresh ingredients and a variety of flavors.
Every chef prepares different meals depending on what food is available. ...More info.
Meals: What to ExpectAll of our hiking tours include a diversity of tasty meals packed full of critical carbohydrates, proteins and fats. We carry foods that travel well in the backcountry – rice, pastas, lentils, beans, couscous, packaged meats, nuts, breads, oatmeal, granola, and more.
For optimal taste and energy, we supplement all our meals with spices, herbs, oils, cheeses, butter, sugar, fruits and vegetables (fresh and dried). In addition, we provide you with an assortment of trail mix, snacks, and dried fruits to eat at your own discretion.
We regularly accommodate vegan, vegetarian, kosher and non-gluten diets and will make adjustments for food allergies. These and other special dietary requests may require an additional fee. ...More info.
Our Horseman and HorsesOur Horseman and his horses are in charge of all our gear and will always await us within the safe and comfortable camp sites.
Our horsemen are hired from the areas where the trekking route goes and therefore have extensive knowledge of the area.
Besides trekking and camping gear every horse carries a total of 40 kg of guest's belongings.
You will have a personal allowance of 7kg/165lb for your gear....More info.
DATES & PRICES
Our Challenge 3D/2N Salkantay Trek includes extra horse to carry up to 7kg/16lbs of your belongings. The last night of this trek is spent in a hotel in Aguas Calientes and we do include a 2 star hotel called Vista Machu Picchu or Eco Machu Picchu Pueblo depends of the availabiltity.
We are the only Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu that works exclusively with specialists and experts.
The Salkantay Trek is our passion and customer satisfaction our success!”
Thank you so much for choosing Salkantay Trekking!!!.
Triunfo Street 392, of. 212, 2nd floor
Mobile: (+51) 958191179
Emergency Phone: (+51) 974727031
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Interest Free Payment Plans
Over 21,000 Thrilled Guests