City Tour Cusco
- Visit the most important archaeological sites of the imperial city of Cusco
Accommodation Grade: Not
Trek Grade: Easy
Trip at a glanceFor your first day in this majestic city, we recommend visiting all nearby archaeological sites and surrounding landscape. As a city, Cusco maintains its customs and traditions along with the mysteries and tales about a legendary past.
- Cusco, as Peru’s main tourist attraction, offers its visitors a rich and monumental historic legacy.
- Cusco holds various titles including World Heritage Site by UNESCO , Archaeological Capital of America Cusco , Cusco Historical Capital of Peru , Cusco Navel of the World
- The Inti Raymi or ‘’Sun Festival’’ is celebrated in Cusco
- During the Viceroyalty in Cusco, houses and imposing churches and convents with magnificent art pieces were built on top of Inca walls and foundations.
Places to visit in the Tour
Cusco, the capital of the ancient Inca Empire, and its surroundings enclose a great cultural richness. This tour is recommended for those who would like to know more about our culture, as you will get to see the Main Square, the Historic Centre, the Cathedral, Qoricancha or the Temple of the Sun, the Santo Domingo Convent, and the archaeological sites of Sacsayhuaman, Tambomachay and many others.
Our staff will come to your hotel to pick you up at approximately 13:45 hrs to take the tourist bus that will take us to the various archaeological sites and attractions included in this tour package. These tourist attractions include:
- Cusco´s Cathedral: Located in Cusco´s Main Square, the cathedral is a colonial monument of great artistic value. It was built on top of the Wiracocha Inca Palace and houses works of carved wood such as the choir, pulpit and altars, beautiful paintings from the Cusquenian School of Art and works of embossed silver.
- Koricancha Temple and Santo Domingo Convent: This religious center was built to worship the Sun, the most revered deity during the Inca Empire. Here, the combination between the extraordinary Inca architecture and the Spanish architecture is what stands out the most. In addition, the Cusquenian School of Art´s gallery offers you the opportunity to appreciate some of their colonial art pieces.
- Saqsayhuaman: Located 2 km from Cusco City, this fortress was built using enormous carved rocks joined with compelling precision. It is composed of three overlapping platforms with an average length of 360 m. Here, you can see stones as big as 9 m. in height. From here, you can enjoy a spectacular view of Cusco city along with the beautiful landscape formed by the surrounding mountains.
- Q`enqo Archaeological Complex: Located 1 km from Sacsayhuaman, this complex was an Inca ceremonial centre considered as a cult centre. The most prominent feature of this complex is an open space called the amphitheater. Back in its day, you would have found and seen Inca deities and mummies in the 19 trapezoidal niches found here. Today, the amphitheater is half of its original height.
- Puca Pucara Archaeological Complex: This complex is known as the ´´ red fortress´´ due to its reddish tints resulting from the vast amounts of iron in its rocks. It is deduced that this fortress was perhaps an old tambo that served both as a resting and guarding spot to protect Tambomachay. Here you can see attractive architecture, fountains, aqueducts and several Inca enclosures.
- Tambomachay: This complex is made up of a combination of finely carved stone, waterfalls and aqueducts coming from nearby springs and hot springs. For this reason, Tambomachay is associated with the water cult. In front of this construction, there is a tower that is said to have served as a guarding post and communication tower.
ITINERARYYou will be picked up from your accommodation is Cusco at 13:30 hrs to begin your City Tour. You will begin your tour by visiting the Cathedral in Plaza de Armas where you will have the opportunity to see a wide range of paintings from Cusco’s School of Art, old writings and works in gold leaf and embossed silver. Once finished, you will continue on to Koricancha or the ‘’Temple of the Sun’’ to appreciate its architecture and perfect stone constructions only seen in Inca temples of utter importance. Continuing on, you will head outside the City to visit the archaeological circuit including Sacsayhuaman, Q’enko, Puka Pukara and Tambomachay. At Sacsayhuaman, you will see its famous stones all carefully carved and enormous in size. At Q’enko, you will learn some more about this archaeological site’s religious importance in the Inca time and at Puka Pukara, you will see an ancient military construction part of Cusco’s ancient defense system. Lastly, at Tambomachay you will see a temple dedicated to the Water cults with fountains that still work in present days.
Your return to Cusco will be at approximately 18:20 hrs.
Included & Not Included
What is Included?
- Professional guide (English/ Spanish)
- Personalized service.
- Boleto Turistico
- Entrance ticket to Cusco’s Cathedral
- Entrance ticket to Koricancha.
- Bring sun hats, sun glasses and sun block in case of sunny conditions
- Bring a waterproof jacket (for the latter part of the tour) and rain poncho in case of forecast
- Bring snacks and water for the afternoon
- Bring extra cash
- Bring a camera for photographs
Thank you for choosing Salkantay Trekking! We will do everything within our means to take care of you and ensure an enjoyable trip of a lifetime in Peru!
DATES & PRICES
City tour archaeological Cusco - full day.
We are the only Company that works exclusively with specialists and experts.
Thank you so much for choosing Salkantay Trekking!!!.
Triunfo Street 392, of. 212, 2nd floor
Mobile: (+51) 958191179
Emergency Phone: (+51) 974727031
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Interest Free Payment Plans
Over 21,000 Thrilled Guests