Huchuy Qosqo by Qoricocha
- An ancient Inca archaeological site perched on a cliff
Accommodation Grade: Not
Trek Grade: Easy - Moderate
WHY US?"We are considered by many to be the leading experts of authentic trekking experiences at competitive prices and with exceptional service. We always go the extra mile to provide you with the utmost satisfaction and extravagance during your adventure. Our belief is that responsible tourism is a better way to see the world, so you can be assured that we are respecting our Pachamama (Mother Earth) as we travel!."
OUR AWARDSIn the tourism industry of Cusco, there are a vast number of achievements and awards used to recognize the best operators and service providers in the region. Among these exists the award for Tourism Quality in the region of Cusco, which is meant to recognize the very best service and adventure in the tourism industry. Salkantay Trekking was proudly nominated for this award, and it was then later chosen for another: the Best Adventure Tourism Agency of the region in 2016. For more information visit the Our Awards page.
- Cusco, as Peru’s main tourist attraction, offers its visitors a rich and monumental historic legacy.
- Cusco holds various titles including World Heritage Site by UNESCO , Archaeological Capital of America Cusco , Cusco Historical Capital of Peru , Cusco Navel of the World
- The Inti Raymi or ‘’Sun Festival’’ is celebrated in Cusco
- During the Viceroyalty in Cusco, houses and imposing churches and convents with magnificent art pieces were built on top of Inca walls and foundations.
DESCRIPTIONA fantastic two-day trek in the surroundings of Cusco, departing from Tambomachay, located just 20 minutes from Cusco, leading to Huchuy Qosqo, an ancient Inca archaeological site perched on a cliff with stunning views over the Sacred Valley of the Incas, crossing mountain passes, Andean communities and offering a large array of local flora and fauna. An excellent and less-beaten hike that can be complemented with a visit to Cusco as an alternative to the saturated Inca Trail.
ITINERARY - Day by Day
Distance Walked: 14 km
After, you will continue your trek to the Puma Puncu canyon ( “the puma door” ). From here on, you will hike along an original Inca trail, which has be restored as part of the Qapacñan project. This trail will lead you to the isolated and mysterious Inca site of Huchuy Qosqo (“the little Cusco’’) perched above the Sacred Valley of the Incas at 3600m.a.s.l. Once in the site, your guide will walk you through and show you all the site’s the amazing Inca buildings, like sacred temples, storehouses, Inca terraces for agriculture and the Inca reservoir used to store water in the dry season.
After your guided tour of the site, we will begin our 2-hour walk downhill to the village of Lamay (2,800 meters) by the Urumbamba River in the Sacred Valley, where a bus will be waiting to take you back to your accommodation in Cusco.
Walking Distance – 12 km / 7.46 miles
Starting point of the hike – 3848 meters / 12624 feet
Maximum Altitude: 4150 meters / 13615 feet
Difficulty: Easy - Moderate.
Meals: Breakfast & Lunch, (Snack)
Hiking Hours: 7 Hours
Included & Not Included
What is Included?
- Pre-departure briefing
- Collection from your hotel in the morning and private transport to Patabamba, the starting point of the trek
- Huchuy Qosqo entrance fee
- English speaking professional guide (2 guides for groups over 8 people)
- Boxed-lunch. Vegetarian or special menus are available at no extra cost
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Private transport from Lamay to Cusco, including transfer to your hotel
- 24-h guest service: please ask for the emergency number available during your time of visit
- 1 Porter
- Tips: please note that our agency staff is well paid so please feel free to tip or not as you wish
- Rain gear or rain poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
- Extra T-shirt
- Strong footwear, waterproof trekking boots recommended
- A jacket or fleece
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain and cold
- Sun block
- Insect repellent
- Toilet paper
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, raw fruits, muesli, etc.
- Water container and water for the first morning
- Optional: walking sticks or poles (rubber covers required in order not to damage the Trail)
Thank you for choosing Salkantay Trekking! We will do everything within our means to take care of you and ensure an enjoyable trip of a lifetime in Peru!
DATES & PRICES
Huchuy Qosqo - full day.
We are the only Company that works exclusively with specialists and experts.