The Lares trail has incomparable natural beauty. Along the whole path, you’ll find rivers, lagoons, waterfalls and impressive views of the snowy peaks. Besides all this, you’ll have the opportunity to make friends as you pass through different countryside communities who work raising llamas and alpacas, as well as developing their traditional textile arts.
This route keeps captivating more and more people from all over the world, and so that you have an idea of its beauty, we want to show you 8 photos we’ve found on Instagram. If you like the pictures, don’t forget to follow these instagrammers and share this blog. You can also follow Salkantay Trekking on Instagram: @SalkantayTrekking
1. Healing hot springs: The Lares trail generally starts with a visit to this complex of hot springs. Many visitors don’t just come to relax but also to take advantage of the medicinal properties of these waters.
2. Mountains that point to the sky: The mountains on this path appear to be the frozen giants of ancient legends. Many of these mountains have sharp points, as if they were fingers pointing to the sky.
3. The colorful eyes of the Pachamama: Some of the most impressive details of the Lares route are the lagoons that appear little by little along the trail. The color of these waters vary: turquoise, green, blue, yellow, etc. Some people say they are the homes of mermaids.
4. A path filled with magic: The Lares trek has a peculiar energy. When you visit it, let yourself be carried away by that magical feeling that will allow you to connect with nature and even talk to it. You don’t believe us?
5. Sophisticated ancient art: Have you looked closely at the designs in the woman’s blanket in this photo? Did you know that these symbols have deep meanings? Textile-making in Peru is an age-old art and, because of this, it’s incredibly amazing. When you come to Lares, you’ll see beautiful outfits in the communities of Cachín, Rosaspata and Choquecancha.
6. Be part of the Andean culture: The Lares trail allows you to dive into the Andean culture. You’ll have the opportunity to try out some traditional outfits and even buy them, if you’d like. Always treat the people you see with respect, and say hello to them affectionately when you meet them in your path.
7. Make new friends, change your world: Traveling isn’t just about seeing fantastic places but also meeting the people that live in those fantastic places. Give yourself time as you walk in silence through these impressive landscapes to reflect on the injustices that devastate the world, and share your love equally with everyone.
8. Dogs: Humans’ eternal companions: Since the people in this place raise llamas and alpacas, it’s not difficult to meet playful dogs on the trail. You’ll hear their barking from far away, and you’ll see them helping the shepherd with their work.